Is Jesus Christ God?

The Bible, the Word of God, proclaims that Jesus Christ is God.


His Name

First, God revealed to Moses that his Name is "I AM."

"Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, `The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, `What is His name?' what shall I say to them? And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.'' And He said, 'Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, `I AM has sent me to you.' ''
Exodus 3:13-14

Jesus made claim to being "I AM."

"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.' Then the Jews said to Him, 'You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?' Jesus said to them, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.' 
John 8:56-58

The Rabbis knew exactly what he was saying. They were enraged that he was making the claim of being the "I AM" of Exodus 3.


verse 59:

"Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by."

Again he made this claim when questioned by the high priest:


"Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, 

Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? 
And Jesus said, I AM.
And you shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, 
and coming in the clouds of heaven."
Mark 14:61-62.

He also made this claim when speaking with a woman at a well in Samaria:


"The woman said to him, 

'I know that Messiah is coming (who is called Christ).
When he comes, he will tell us all things.'
Jesus said to her, 'I who speak to you am he.'”
John 4:25-26."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jesus identified himself as God

"And behold, I come quickly and my reward is with me, to give to every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."
Revelation 22:12-13

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The New Testament writers identified him as God

"Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood."
Acts 20:28

"Great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh …received up into glory."
1 Timothy 3:16

"For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily."
Colossians 2:9